Another stint in the Intertoto Cup would have meant a truncated post-seasothen anyway, but the inception of the short-lived eircom Super Cup, coupled with an earlier-than-usual start due to 'summer soccer' starting in 2002, meant that City were back in action by the end of June. For these games, against Bohemians and Shelbourne, they would wear the same kits as would be used against Lithuanian side Metalurgs Ljepapas, without the sleeve logos and with numbered shorts (far left and right). With the return of the league, the Le Coq and eircom League sleeve adornments returned (left), but the 'European' away shirts were worn away to Longford, with the home socks (far right).
That Longford game was a 4-1 loss and it took until game five for City to pick up a league win, Ollie Cahill scoring a hat-trick in a 3-1 victory away to St Patrick's Athletic, when the eircom logos were back on the away, but the black stripes at the bottom of the sleeves were absent (right). The following week, at home to Shelbourne on September 16, a new home strip (left) was seen for the first time, slightly later than planned. Notable changes were the abolition of the horizontal white band across the chest while red shorts were also worn, with a white wrapover round neck. Less conspicuous, but of some consolation to traditionalists, was that green had returned, though only as a trim colour with minimal visibility. That game was also won, Colin P O'Brien on target in a 1-0 win, and that set in train a good run of results, with wins against Galway United and Shamrock Rovers, though the unbeaten run came to an end away to Derry, when the 'different' away shirts were also worn.
For the next away game, against Bohemians, the original style of away shirts returned, though the kit was worn with white socks due to the clash with the home side (right) though not long after that the proper style was worn for the trip to Shels (below right). There were also changes afoot with the home kit, and these were first seen for the game away to Shamrock Rovers at the end of November, as the white shorts returned, in the same style as the previous red ones, though the number was now above the Le Coq logo rather than beside it. The new shorts coincided with the arrival of long-sleeved shirts (far left), though the short sleeves continued to be used as well (left).
Though Rovers were beaten 3-1, City would not win any more league games before Christmas but were still well in contention for the league as Derek Coughlan's goal in a 1-0 win over Derry on New Year's Eve left the side in third place in the table, five points behind Shels and three adrift of Rovers. Instead of kicking on and mounting a sustainable challenge, that was as good as it good for Liam Murphy's side and only one of the next seven league games was won as they began to slide worryingly down the table. Sixth position would be the final resting place, with third-last game, a loss against UCD, seeing the red shorts return with long-sleeved shirts (left) as the Students inexplicably wore an all-white kit. It was a disappointing return given the side's capabilities, but with the excellent weather of summer soccer to come in the 2002 season, perhaps an improvement was only just around the corner.